30 June 2008

29June 2008

Well, I attended my second service with the local Unity Christian Church, and I have to say, it was more enjoyable than the first. I had a great sense of energy and well-being for the rest of the day--whether that was simply due to returning to a congregation after so many years, or whether it is specific to Unity services, I do not know. I will say again that being a Gnostic attending Unity services is what it must be like for a Catholic to attend Protestant services--they hit all of the themes; they've even got some creative innovation going on... but they miss the deeper substance. Still, it is far and away better than having no church at all!

As for the service itself... I can't make this stuff up. The guest minister actually did a sermon on the relationship of Back to the Future and Harry Potter to the Acts of the Apostles. I think I have drill next week, but I'll be interested to see where this goes after that.

I was going to attend Lodge Tuesday night, but the JOC is finally standing down, and my schedule has been temporarily shifted to assist with the transition. Maybe I'll get to stop in on the 15th.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, G.P., I am glad you found a church to attend and that you feel good going there, even if it isn't exactly what you would most want...

I love my home church, even though I don't agree with every stance it takes on different issues. It is just good to worship with other Christians and have fellowship.

I really wish my bgf would find a home church and stop being so stubborn. She and her Hub will only attend a "King James only" church that believes exactly like they do (they can't find one). She doesn't have much peace in her life and I try to tell her what a positive difference a home church would make.... but she won't try.

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, and I am curious about your guest pastor's sermons! Back to the Future and Harry Potter ?? :O !

Gnostic Paladin said...

Well, she made an analogy between Marty McFly and Harry Potter "finding power within themselves" to deal with their problems, and the Pentecostal Charism of the Apostles in Acts.

Of course, Marty McFly didn't find a "power within himself;" he had a time-traveling DeLorean. Nor did the Apostles find a "power within themselves;" a power descended upon them.
Harry Potter *did* find a "power within himself," but one out of three is hardly supportive of the analogy!

Anonymous said...

Well, I never saw "Harry Potter". I have seen "Back to the Future". The analogy does seem a bit outlandish to me...